So this has been my emotional state and reactions to self-publishing so far:
- Excitement (yay! I've finished my story!)
- Determination (let's do this)
- Nervousness (oh that is a lot to take in about taxes and royalties)
- Cry (How do tax?)
- Consume far too much coffee (debate life choices)
- Restitution of self-confidence (I can do this)
- self-motivation (round two)
- Debate life choices (loss of footing again…)
I'm essentially Rapunzel changing my mind from "BEST DAY EVER" to "I am a despicable excuse of a human being" so fast I'm giving myself whiplash.
One thing that I completely recommend doing once you decide to take this route is READ THE HELP PAGE. From top to bottom. No ifs, no buts, no coconuts. I know it’s a lot to take in at once, so I’d make sure you have at least a solid hour to go through it with a fine toothed comb, but once it’s done, you will feel so much better about the process, understanding the royalty options, taxes and promotional offers that Amazon do.
I also thought this was pretty cool (especially as I had originally only planned to have my short story for digital download):
They also lead you to a great audio site as well so that you can turn your story into an audiobook! These may be two options I explore later down the line.